-
March 10th, 2005, 03:34 PM
#181
Guest
Re: Wise county consolidations
Teaching is not a safe position. I assure you.
Thats why Im straight heading to TN or Northern VA. Unless JIB decides to give me a J.O.B. Beyond that miracke. Im splitsville.
-
March 10th, 2005, 03:38 PM
#182
Inactive Member
Re: Wise county consolidations
I don't like that Idea small schools are better overall(Yes consoladating down to 3 schools will make larger schools but they would still be considered small schools)
-
March 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM
#183
Inactive Member
Re: Wise county consolidations
Yes it is there always exceptions but I can not remember the last time I saw a teacher fired for anything that would not land the rest of us in jail (I have had three Companys I have worked for either sell out or go bankrupt however in all but one case i saw the train comeing before it was to late but there were hundreds of others that did not)
-
March 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM
#184
Guest
Re: Wise county consolidations
Or if your students do not reach a certain level of test scores. Or if your school is closed. Or if you dont ever acheive tenure. Or if you do not report possibilities of child abuse. Etc Etc.
Theys alot more to teaching then what people really know. Theys all sorts of little thing you would never imagine. And its those things that could cause you to lose your job.
And abot the 3 schools to 1. The best preparation for college is a college simulation. What better then a 1 school system where favoritism, hometown help and the who knows who syndrome is removed. Become a numeber. another cog in the wheel. Because that is what you become in college. Why not prepare ahead of time. We need more tracking in our school systems, by grade 10 it should be decided if your going to college or not. Begin shifting them into trade schools and college prepatory. if people are concerned about education and the future of their kids, then this is the only way.
-
March 10th, 2005, 05:06 PM
#185
Guest
Re: Wise county consolidations
As far as teachers being laid off or let go period.
I have a hard time understanding that. I as i think it is Sage said, know of some that are up for retirement.
I did not know it was that many.
I would like to ask one question. We all know something has to be done, for our schools. Most agree if anything 3 new schools.
Well one question. Mr. Basham works for the school board, why don't they tell him what they want, and get him and his huge staff to make it work?
As far as teachers being let go. I would ask that the last few hired into the central office, be let go beginning with tenure, until the salary would equal that of the 19 others, who are to be laid off. These people are professionals to, why go straight to teachers, and not start as the CEPI study said, at the top and clean out the Central Office first.
We have a few on the school board who say they want to do what is right.
Well do it for one time. Stand up to "your" employee, Mr. Basham.
Put him under the gun to get a few things done, and to get his house in order, or face the possibility of being gone.
I don't want to argue with anyone. But he does work at the will of the board.
If i bring my boss in something that will not work, or is against everything we can do.
I know his words to me. Take this $%&^&$#$ and bring me back something, that is feasible and will work.
-
March 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM
#186
Inactive Member
Re: Wise county consolidations
I think we all for the most part agree with that i can not see Bashams proposal in the form I have seen can get even 1 vote much less pass the Board should IMHO have an actual consoladation study (assumeing that is what they really want to do) to find out what would work best for the kids (I have a hard time beliveing that 3 New Schools would not be the eventual answer but I don't know)
-
March 10th, 2005, 05:46 PM
#187
Inactive Member
Re: Wise county consolidations
if your students do not reach a certain level of test scores
I do not know of anyone that has been let go yet for this however if I do a poor job where I work I would be let go as well
Or if your school is closed
The rest of the world worries about there place of work closeing every day the difference is some Jobs move 20 miles up the highway others Move to India and China
Or if you don't ever achieve tenure
I don't think that can be given as a reason because no other type of Job I am familure with has anything like tender
Or if you do not report possibilities of child abuse
My employer would frown upon me ignoring illegal activity as well.
I am not saying Teachers Jobs are a bed of Roses (unless you count all the thorns in there) but I would be very interested on what there turnover rate is as compared to other industries (Both Voluntary and Involuntary) IMHO being a teacher is as safe a job as you will find
-
March 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM
#188
Guest
Re: Wise county consolidations
I'm a student at PHS and a would be Junior next year. I love Pound. I don't agree with the topic of consolidation unless done properly. I agree three schools should be built and they would be new to everyone not just to some.
-
March 10th, 2005, 06:41 PM
#189
Guest
Re: Wise county consolidations
I guess teaching is the easiest job in the world. What do I know.
-
March 10th, 2005, 07:25 PM
#190
Inactive Member
Re: Wise county consolidations
I never once said it was the easiest job just one of the safist as far actualy keeping your job
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks